SATURDAY 23 JUNE 2018 - We need your help!
We are looking for swimmers to help raise vital funds for GLT!
Get back to nature with an open water swim and help raise vital funds for Green Light Trust’s work with vulnerable children, young people and adults.
One in 10 children in the UK are currently struggling with a mental illness. Research shows that children with easy access to nature are more likely to cope with stressful life events, as it improves their self-esteem and mood. At the Green Light Trust, we provide projects that help improve young people’s confidence, health and wellbeing, by connecting with the outdoors. We aim to transform lives through nature.
£30 = a day of confidence building bushcraft activities for 1 young person
£60 = one day of our Green Care programme for vulnerable adults and young people
£110 = a day’s 1:1 support for a participant
£210 = up to 8 children to experience a day’s Forest School activities
£550 = up to 30 people to experience a day’s back to nature activities in one of our two
beautiful woodlands in Lawshall or Ipswich
Are you ready for a new challenge? Are you aged between 12 and 100?
Then dive right in for your chance to be part of an unforgettable experience - the Great East Swim 2018. Whether you’re a novice or a pro, there’s swim distances to suit everyone. You can even bring your friends and family to watch all the action. So, why not secure your place today and be part of something great?!
Where? Set in the beautiful Alton Water reservoir, near Ipswich, Suffolk.
When? Saturday June 23 2018
The Green Light Trust is one of the charity partners for the 2018 event. The person who raises the most sponsorship will win a voucher for one of our weekend woodland workshops, worth £55.
We will refund your entry fee if you can raise the following:
½ mile - £150 min fundraising target ; Entrants 12yrs+
1 or 2 miles - £250 min fundraising target; Entrants 16+
5K or 10K - £550 min fundraising target; Entrants 18+
I’D LIKE TO SWIM! WHAT DO I DO NEXT?
- Register for your place on the Great East Swim website - www.greatrun.org/great-swim/great-east-swim If you’re unsure what distance to chose, why not join the rest of the GLT team in the 1 mile wave at 12 midday! Don’t forget to tick ‘other’ and enter Green Light Trust when asked which charity you are supporting. Suffolk Sport are offering 48 places which include entry fees, wetsuit hire and training support to individuals that are 18+ and currently do less than 30 minutes of moderate activity per week. Cost is £30 but you need to commit to attend 8-12 Sunday training sessions at Ipswich or Bury St Edmunds. Click here for further details https://www.suffolksport.com/greateastswim
- Download the Green Light Trust application form below so that we can thank you for swimming on our behalf and refund your entry fee after the event (minimum amounts raised apply – see above). Don’t forget to order your free T shirt!
- Receive your welcome pack from Green Light Trust with various hints and tips for training.
- Set up your GLT Virgin Money Giving page (see step by step guide below)
- Share your Giving page with family, friends, colleagues and social media in order to maximise your fundraising potential.
- Start training! www.greatrun.org/great-swim/training
- Hire or buy your wetsuit http://www.greatrun.org/great-swim/shop Wetsuit hire also included in Suffolk Sport offer https://www.suffolksport.com/greateastswim
- On the day, sign in at the Green Light Trust stand and pick up your free Green Light Trust Great East Swim promotional T shirt.
- Claim your entry fee refund once we have received your sponsorship money.
- Bask in your achievement and the knowledge that you have helped to support many vulnerable children, adults and young people in the region.
How do I set up my Virgin money Giving page?
- Go to our donate page
- On the right hand side of the page click “Support us” then “Start Fundraising”
- You will be asked to fill in your details and create a password.
- When asked ‘what are you doing?’ type in Great East Swim and a drop down list of events will appear. Unfortunately as the Great East Swim is not yet on this list you may have to scroll down to the “Doing something else” box and enter the date of the event – 23 June 2018
- When asked has your charity contributed, click Yes (as you will hopefully be able to claim your entry fee back from ourselves on receipt of your sponsorship money)
- Your page should now be automatically generated and you can start having fun! Add a target amount to raise, a profile photo and cover picture. You can add ‘my story’ about why you are swimming – maybe GLT has been important for some reason in your life; if so, share it here.
- Share your page on social media
- Great East Swim Application Form (71.5kb)